2 December 2011
Two of my favourite birds together in Surrey
Surrey is not the best place in the world for birds (what an understatement!), and it's not often you get the opportunity to see two of your favourite birds in the world, in Surrey, at the same place, and on the same day. Therefore I couldn't resist a quick visit to Papercourt water meadows this afternoon to give it a shot. Just a few minutes after arrival I caught sight of the unmistakable deep wing beats of a Short-eared Owl in the distance, and after a few minutes I realised there were actually 3 birds hunting over the rough grass. They showed fairly well but unfortunately stayed a little distant and I didn't manage a single half decent photo! One down, one to go, but I didn't have to wait too long before a Barn Owl appeared quartering the fields. Simply amazing birds! I never tire of watching Short-eareds or Barn Owls! Also seen were c.100 Siskin, c.50 Fieldfare and a single Redwing. I must make a return visit to try and get a few snaps!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
See you down there! I feel the same way - you can't get enough of these owls - especially the Short-eareds. There were apparently at least five seen down there today.
ReplyDeleteLee - this may come as a shock to you but I have never seen the Short-eared Owl.
ReplyDeleteWhere are the Papercourt Meadows?
Papercourt water meadows are just north of Send/south-east of Old Woking (map here). There is a car park by the roundabout in Old Woking at the A247/B382 junction. From here, walk south along the A247 and at the last house on your left (Riverdale Farm) take the public footpath that leads east out across the meadows. Follow the footpath for about 100 m. The birds were hunting over the rough grass on your right (east of the old WW2 bunker), but were mobile. Mid afternoon onwards appears to be the best time. Good luck!
ReplyDelete