14 July 2011

REGUA, Atlantic Forest, Brazil: 14 July

I didn't have much time for birding today but I did spend part of the morning at the wetland and on the adjacent forest trails. Highlights along the Brown Trail, which runs through an area replanted with pioneer tree species in 2007, were 1 Crane Hawk, 5 Sooretama Slaty Antshrike (including a pair feeding a juvenile), a Euler's Flycatcher and 2 Fawn-breasted Tanager. Afterwards a quick walk along the São José Trail once again failed to find any Shrike-like Cotingas, but 1 White-bibbed Antbird, 1 Black-billed Scythebill, 1 Eared Pygmy-Tyrant, 2 Whiskered Flycatcher, a pair of Black-capped Becard, 1 Rufous-browed Peppershrike, a Flame-crested Tanager and 2 more Sooretama Slaty Antshrike provided some compensation, along with a White Witch Moth Thysania agrippina (photo below), which has the largest wing-span of any moth or insect in the world at up to 280 mm! I was in a meeting for the whole afternoon but still managed to catch up with the Rufous-tailed Jacamar that has taken up residence at the conservation centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment